Hip-hop album reviews, downloads and more.

Wednesday 4 July 2012

Logic - "Young Sinatra: Undeniable" Mixtape Review/Download



Alright; Logic's latest mixtape. I have mixed views about this project; Undeniable jumps all over the bloody place. When I first heard that, I wasn't sure how much I believed it.It couldn't be that odd, right? Wrong. The flow of this release is very strange, to put it plainly.

  The first 4 tracks, of the 22, are just what one would expect from a Logic release, but tracks 5 and 6 switch it up. Track 5, No Biggie uses the beat from Kick In the Door, by, surprisingly, Notorious B.I.G. This is about the highlight of this mixtape. Following No Biggie is Disgusting, featuring a Big Punisher beat. Again, this track is excellent.

  Track 7 is where this project really slaps you in the face and basically just confuses the shit out of you. Tic Tac Toe is when Logic completely changes the feel of the mixtape, sounding like Mac Miller or something. The release takes a dip here and doesn't pick up again until track 13, Numbers. This is just a great track about money and the problems that follow it, particularly phoney people (I'm feeling a little Mac Miller vibe again).

  By track 15 I'm feeling a little shaky again. Now Logic is trying to be Drake instead of Mac Miller or a thug and I'm not sure I like it. Logic would be a better Drake than Drake, but Drake isn't good nonetheless. This track is not for me, but it will definitely be loved by some. The following track has the same vibe to it, and I don't dig it at all. The same goes for track 17 as well.

  Track 18, Young Sinatra III, is a step back in the right direction. It samples Nas and even feels like a Nas track. Young Sinatra III saves the end of the mixtape for sure; this one is fantastic. The following track is nearly as good, which surprised me after those songs about 3/4 of the way through the mixtape.

  The ending tracks of the mixtape are  more of what we came to Logic for. They allow me to overall, label this a decent mixtape. Its fault is that it seems to lack direction throughout, but can that be excused? After all, it's only a mixtape.

  By the way: if I actually have any readers I'd like to apologize for my prolonged absence.




Download

No comments:

Post a Comment